Thursday, September 28, 2006

My how time flies

Jeez, I haven't posted an update since we moved to Portland!

It has been one busy summer. Most of my time has been consumed with wedding planning, and I have to say, if I had been hired at a job, part- or full-time, I would have never gotten so much accomplished. Paul and I managed to plan a wedding in just 4 months--not bad! It has been a lot of fun, to be quite honest. Everything is pretty much squared away and hopefully I will no longer lie awake in bed worrying about details that no one else will notice. NINE MORE DAYS, HOLY CRAP!! I am really excited and of course a bit nervous as well. The only things left to do are take care of the table centerpieces (which we are doing ourselves, with the help of our friend Melissa), take a few more dance lessons (who wants to look like a dork at the high school prom, rocking back and forth like Frankenstein's monster?), and find a tie for Paul.

We are skipping loads of other details which I think is making our lives so much easier: there is no wedding party (no I don't need a ring bearer or bridesmaids); the ceremony and reception is being held in one place; I am not carrying a bouquet or doing other traditional wedding stuff that makes my stomach turn (i.e. bouquet and garter toss, cake cutting ceremony, etc.)--It is a non-traditional wedding in many ways and it is going to be one hell of a good party.

In other news, we went to Burning Man again this year; my 5th time and Paul's 7th. It was an amazing year as always, and we reenacted the first time we met out on the playa and had a Burning Man wedding with several friends in attendence. Phil, our wedding officiant, was able to practice what he is (and isn't) going to say for the ceremony, and I think we all felt good about having a trial run before the big day. Our friend Shawn took some incredible photos of our Burning Man wedding (read: not legal--yes we are still single!) and i'll have to bug her to email them to me so I can post them on this site.

Other than the wedding planning and Burning Man, we have had a really fun summer cycling around Portland and getting to know our way around town. It really is a cool place and I miss certain aspects of NY sometimes, but mainly I miss my friends. I have been into this jewelry store a bunch lately and got to talking with one of the women who work there and she asked me the other day if I "feel like a Portlander yet?"---and the answer was "not really", which is true. I am comfortable here and like it a lot, but I think I am still holding a torch for good 'ol Brooklyn, which I think I might always miss in some way or another.

No comments: