Friday, February 03, 2006

Last day at the nuthouse...

...and one week left in Brooklyn! While I am relived it is my last day, I am sad as well---like I am the bad therapist who is abandoning her clients, which I guess is essentially what is happening. And it makes me feel worse to see some of them cry and ask,"but why do you have to go?" I want them all to be happy and get out of here as well-this is such a hard place to work in; living here must really be a nightmare. I give the women who live here a lot of credit--I don't know how long I would last mentally and physically if I were stuck in this place, with no family to help me out.
But overall it has been one amazing learning experience and it has been quite the challenge.

Somehow Paul and I have gotten most of the stuff done that we have been freaking out about; there is just a bunch of furniture and other things left to Craigslist or give away to friends, so it will have to get done in the upcoming week. We are taking relatively little with us; mainly clothing, books, a few pieces of furniture, kitchen supplies, and computer stuff.

I am alternating between tinges of sadness for leaving Brooklyn (which has been my home for almost 9 years--the longest I have lived anywhere in my adult life thus far) and being excited and anxious about embarking on an adventure. It doesn't seem quite real yet that we are leaving, and that in two weeks we'll be on a gorgeous beach in Thailand.

No comments: