Thursday, February 09, 2006

The moving machine hath cometh


On Tuesday the 7th a moving crew came in to pack up our stuff and put it in storage, and it will eventually be hauled across the country to our new home in Portland.
I slept terribly the night before as my camping mattress sprung a leak. We were hoping to hang on to the futon until the end of the week but this woman wanted to purchase it immediately, so we are now sleeping on the floor.

So this moving crew invades at 9am and the cats immediately hide in the closet. Things are getting crammed into boxes left and right and we have to stay fully cognizant of what the movers are doing as certain items are marked off for them NOT to move. My travel clothes instantly get packed and luckily I was awake enough to jump up and save them from being put into storage for 4 months. I felt kind of bad hovering over them the whole time, but it seemed necessary to avoid having things handled poorly and broken. I was surprised at how careless the whole operation seemed, and I know the idea is to get in and out of there as quickly as possible, but I'm just hoping at this point that half of the fragile stuff survives.

I stupidly forgot to set aside a winter coat and so all of my coats got swept up in the moving maching. Of course now it is finally cold outside and I have to wear 5 layers under my fleece to stay warm and look like the Sta-Puff Marshmallow Man.

Somehow the movers thought it would be a good idea to pack up a crusty, filthy cat litter scoop and the gross rug that was under the litter box. For all we know it got tossed into a box with our cycling helmets, hats and coats, and won't that be a nice surprise when we unpack?

No comments: